Monday, January 5, 2015

Insights on Christmas

Some time ago, I was at a stake holiday party.  We were watching a video about the birth of Christ, and as the Shepherds arrived to see the new child I saw something I'd never considered before; Marry and Joseph seemed surprised to see them.  Of course, this made perfect sense; why would they have been expecting anyone to help celebrate the sudden birth of their child, in a far away town, in a stable.  Not even their closest friends and family could have known where to find them.  This got me thinking, what else had I taken for granted in the Christmas story.  So I decided to tell Joseph's story, from his own eyes.

At first, I thought I'd tell it first person, but as I considered what I'd say, I realized that I'd have to make many assumptions.  Eventually, I decided it would be best to keep the story third person, but still write it with Joseph directly in mind.  Well, time went on, and I completed my review, and decided that the story format just wasn't going to work for me.  So here are some nuggets, take them for what they are worth (which may not be much).


Spiritual Maturity

I was particularly struck by the manner in which the various actors in the nativity learned of the Savior.  I will use the word, revelation, to refer to any spiritual manifestation of truth. See if you don't detect a pattern:

Mary

Mary was a young woman.  Though the Bible does not give an age, tradition as well as culture suggest she was between 12 and 16.  While she was, no doubt, among the most righteous, worthy, knowledgeable, and sanctified of our Father's daughters, she lacked earthly experiences.  Yet, she was "highly favored among women", and wise enough to submit herself to the will of God.  Mary was told of the Savior by an Angel, prior to his being conceived.  This is the only revelation that I'm aware of Mary receiving. 

Joseph

Joseph was a carpenter, and the fiance of Mary.  Like Mary, we have no real information on his age.  Some accounts indicate he was a widower and perhaps as old as 80 or 90.  Others seem to suggest he was a teenager.  Frankly, it is not a critical issue, but I tend to lean toward his being a younger man.  Joseph, like Mary, was likely foreordained to the role of Jesus's earthly father (or adopted father if you will).  It is likely that he was selected for his unique abilities, talents, and personality.  If, like Mary, he was still quite young, we could also say that he lacked the wisdom and experience that comes with age.  He received several revelations regarding Christ.  The first was some time after Mary was "found with child".  We'll talk more in a minute about how he may have felt to discover his fiance was pregnant.  Nonetheless, as he pondered on the mater of her pregnancy, he was visited by an angel.  The angel told him not to worry about the pregnancy and to follow through with the wedding.  The implication of Mathew 1:24 is that he officially married her very quickly after this visitation, and Luke 1:39 implies that she left shortly thereafter to visit her cousin Elisabeth.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth was the "cousin" of Mary, though probably not an immediate cousin.  Unlike Mary, who was of the house of Judah, Elisabeth was of the house of Levi.  She was not a young woman, and had long given up hope of having a child of her own.  Nonetheless, it was through her husband that she learned she would, in fact, see such a blessing.  She was, it appears, afraid of loosing the child (understandably) and thus hid herself for the first 5 months of pregnancy.  (yes I'm making a huge assumption as to why she did so, but it makes sense to me).  In any case, it is during the 6th month of her pregnancy that Mary learns of her own impending pregnancy.  We do not know how, exactly, Elisabeth learned of the identity of Mary's child, but when Mary arrives at her home, Elisabeth is well aware of who she carries.  She feels her son leap within her when she hears Mary's voice, and testifies "whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" 

Shepherds

We know little about the shepherds, though I've heard they were actually tending to the temple flocks (meant for sacrifice).  It sounds cool, but I can find no real evidence of it.  Nonetheless, they are visited by an angel and told of the birth of the Savior.  

Simeon

Simeon was a just and devout man.  We are led to believe that he was old, though I suppose it doesn't directly say so.  He had received a promise "by the Holy Ghost" that he would not see death until he had seen "the Lord's Christ".  When Christ comes to the temple at 8 days old to be blessed and circumcised, Simeon immediately recognizes him and pronounces a blessing and prophecy.  

Anna

Anna was a prophetess.  I love that title, though we don't have a detailed understanding of what it means.  She is interesting to me in that she "departed not from the temple" and "served God with fastings and prayers night and day".  I would imagine her as a modern day "temple worker" were it not for the fact that she was of the tribe of Aser, not Levi.  Not that we have any evidence of women working in the Levite temple anyway.  Nonetheless, she was a very old woman.  A widow of 84 years, and having been married for seven.  If I understand the customs of the time, that means she was no younger than 103, which was a rare age in those times when life expectancy was in the 40-50 year range.  Anna is nearby when Simeon makes his declaration, and immediately joins him.  Like Simeon, she speaks to anyone who is there to listen and testifies of his divinity and mission.  Like Simeon, she appears to simply recognize him without the need of an angel to tell of his identity.

Wise Men

We know little about the wise men other than that they came from the East and that they had seen a star that somehow indicated his birth.  I believe that they had scripture, possible books we know nothing of, that provided a detailed prophecy regarding the birth of Christ and came to worship him.

What interests me in all of these is the variety of manifestations.  Some saw angels, others seem to have used scholarly skills, while a few simply knew by the power of the spirit.  Also interesting is that the older (and more experienced) did not see angels, while the younger ones did.  I think there is something to that, and it gives me hope.  I've met some amazing people in my life, people who I would believe have seen and spoken with God.  I've often wondered how one can become that amazing, and I've come to understand that years have a lot to do with it.

OK.... So I guess I'll leave the rest for a part 2, because this is already pretty long.

No comments:

Post a Comment